I am so excited to finally get to post this! I made this for a friend’s baby shower gift so I had to wait until I gave it to her to post =)
This is an easy guide of how to make a burp cloth..
To start you will need material and cloth diapers.
Material: I purchased fat quarters from to local fabric store. A fat quarter is a precut piece of fabric (18″ x 21″). My store had a good variety of choices. The piece in this how-to is cotton, but I also purchased some soft flannel. I spent about $1.00 on this piece and the flannel were under $2.00. You can get 2 burp cloths from 1 fat quarter.
Diaper: You will need to buy pre-folded cloth diapers. I got a ten pack for $13.00. This has made 9 burp cloths and 4 sets of car seat strap covers. Disclaimer–homemade car seat strap covers are not recommended. You really should only use ones provided with your car seat. However, I still use them. I make sure they do not interfere with the chest clip. I hate having my little ones have red marks on their necks from their seat belts. I now make my strap covers out of one layer of fleece and do not use a diaper for padding.
I found that using the entire diaper was a little large, however; if you want you can use the entire thing.
1) Wash and dry the diapers and material. This way your finished product won’t shrink.
2) Cut off one side of the diaper next to the seam. The diapers are made with a center section that has padding, you will want to keep the seam in place to help keep the diaper together when you wash it. Save the extra, it can be used to make other items!
3) Lay the material out, printed side up, place the diaper on top. Cut off any extra material Pin the two together. You will sew around the outside leaving about 1/4 inch. You will want to leave a gap of at least 2 inches to pull it right side out. I put double pins so I wouldn’t forget to stop =)
4) Pull the material right side out. You should now have the printed side out, backed by the diaper.
5) Push the corners out. I use my scissors.
6) Sew the gap closed. If you want it to look super nice you can do this by hand so it doesn’t show. I sewed it with the machine. Make sure you get both the material and diaper sewed in.
7) If you chose to put ribbon on you will need to sew it down. I bought thread to match but it doesn’t have to. Pin it in several places to keep it straight. If you didn’t use ribbon you will still need to make a stitch to hold it together. You can follow the stitch in the diaper or make your own. Just make sure you get one stitch all the way down.
8) You are finished! After making a few I can now make these in under 20 minutes. It makes a great baby gift. Total cost for one is under $2.
I have really enjoyed making these. They look really nice and they absorb really well. My husband really likes that they cover his entire shoulder. I really like how thick they are.
Tip: I found it works best when you start and end your sewing on the thin, non-padded side. Also, don’t stretch the diaper to your material, once it is sewed it will shrink back. Your burp cloth won’t be a perfect rectangle, but that is okay.