I am so thankful we are past the first week!  I had never been so tired in my life!  I chose to breastfeed our son, which means all the night tome feedings (along with the day feedings) are up to me.  This meant getting up at least every two hours to feed.  Often not going to sleep between them as the baby was crying.  The worst part was I was not just responsible for my son, I also had to entertain guest (I actually slept when they came over, it was a nice break!), feed myself and my husband, and keep the house in order.  Now, every one knows that with a new baby the house wasn’t clean, but I had to at least keep it from smelling!

I don’t know about you, but the scariest thing for me about having a baby was being in the hospital.  I had never been hospitalized and had visited other people very few times.  I was thankful that the birthing class gave us a tour and a run down of what would happen.  That eased my nerves a little, but I was still nervous.  However, after it was all said and done there was nothing to be nervous about.  They let me control as much as possible (like leaving my bra on).  It is the little things that are important to me.

I had to be induced due to low amniotic fluid.  I am hoping next time things will go differently.  I am so thankful for the epideral which I swore I wouldn’t get!  The nurses were all very kind, and even the food service staff would make sure I didn’t need anything before leaving.  After delivery I got more freedom.  I was so used to having to ask to go to the bathroom I didn’t know I could just go.  I was even able to shower and get real clothes on, I was not really prepared for that and didn’t pack clothes to wear at the hospital so I wore my husbands sweat pants.

Other than being tired, I actually felt better than I had in months!  Pregnancy wasn’t the easiest on me.  I wanted to do a lot around the house but was still under restrictions from the doctor and from my own exhaustion.  We had bought a house when I was three months pregnant and I was unable to really do anything to make it a home.  I was anxious to fix it up.  That would have to wait just a little longer.

By the end of the first week I still didn’t really know what I was doing!  Even though I had worked in Early Head Start for three years and had a BS in Early Childhood Education.  I was running on survival mode as my husband went back to work (he works 12 hour night shifts). A few times I called my mom and asked her to come out during the day so I could get some rest.  This was a life saver!  She also taught me the benefits of swaddling, which would end up being the only way to get my son to sleep.

To sum up the first week into one word, exhausting!

Advice:  Talk to someone that has had a baby at the hospital you will be going to and ask them questions to ease your mind.